In today’s post we get to see some big progress. First, lets talk about music!
So after a long search I’ve finally found someone to make me some found sound nature music. I’ve already received the first draft for Spring and I’m pretty happy with it. I’ll reveal more details as I get them and after I’ve spoken to the composer just to double-check if he’s happy to have his name in the blogs etc.
As for the footage tests aspect of this post, I’ve completed a Stop Motion Test for Spring. This test shows the Face of Spring revealed from two angles at two different speeds. The first two tests show it at 12.5 Frames Per Second and each shot is 1 Frame (this means each 12 and a half pictures equals 1 second of film). The second two tests are done at the same 12.5 Frames Per Second put each shot is 2 frames in length (so every 6 and a quarter pictures equals 1 second of film). Here’s the footage to show the differences.
The other test video is to give me an idea of how some of the autumn footage may look edited together with some colour grading, a few stock sound effects and some special effects.
Obviously both need a lot of work to bring them up to scratch, but I find myself feeling positive about the outcomes.
So today I finally finished the masks off! I also built the first set too.
As shown in previous entries I had already completed the Face of Autumn and the Face of Winter. I had to put the Faces of Summer and Spring on hold while I finished rebuilding my workshop. Here’s what the finished products looked like.
The Face of Summer
The Face of Spring
As for the set.
Originally, the film was going to be all done in the field and very little of it scripted or manipulated. The weather however isn’t playing ball. So to add a little variety to the film I’ve come up with a little plan to make the revealing of the Face of Spring a little more interesting.
I’ve decided to do the parts of the film where the Face of Spring sprouts from the ground as if its growing using stop motion animation. This will help to create the playful tone I’m after for this season as stop motion can be made to have a fun, jerky aspect to it.
The set for this is simple. I’ve taken a run of the mill cardboard box, filled it will a few potted plants and compost (to hide the pots) and left room in the centre for the Spring mask to go. I’ll then bury the mask, taking pictures as I go and when I edit it together I’ll put the pictures in reverse order. This will make the mask look like it’s coming up from the ground.
This is what the set looks like behind the scenes.
How it will look through the camera (The pots will be covered up fully).
Building this set and deciding to add in a stop motion element has definitely given me food for thought on how to do some other parts of the film. Before I commit though I would like to run them by some other people to see what they think. With that I’ll wrap this post up here.
This a quick little update about some footage I managed to bag last week.
When I started this project, I had a concern that the Summer Scenes may be a challenge to capture due to the film needing to be made by May. Due to the recent weather, I managed to get some nice Summery clouds on blue sky. This footage will work brilliantly for the scenes that require sped up footage of rolling clouds. As spring is rolling by, if the weather holds I should be able to get some nice footage all in all.
It’s coming up to a month since my last post and as much as I dislike leaving large gaps between posts, the fact is I’ve got very little to write about.
At the moment I’m in that tedious place in filming where its a chain of paper work. Shots lists are being made, risk assessments are being typed up, people are being emailed re this and that. All time-consuming and all necessary, if not a little bit dull.
Next week I’m hoping to show some more progress. With any luck I’ll be out this week with the camera, getting the last dregs of winter and starting the spring shoot.