THREE – REWRITE!

I’m going to open this one by firstly saying what I originally intended to write about, which was the struggles I had around coming up with a more original and less used title than “Warrior”. It would have said how titles aren’t particularly my forte and usually I’d leave them to the third or fourth draft. However, due to a series of recent reality checks I am forced to write an article of a different nature.

Unfortunately, I have been forced to not only rewrite my entire script. I am very much inclined to completely scrap the idea and start again. This down to two key reasons. The first, money.

For the film I had intended to have a budget of around £500. This would go towards casts and crew travel expenses and a few props I did not already own. The locations for the most part would be covered by using my own house, it being a relatively large house it is quite versatile in being multiple locations in one.  As I began the costing process I found that the original budget would be tight to work with at best. Using a simple formula based on a cast and crew of ten people at £10 per person and a shoot lasting 5-7 days, I would need £500-£700 in expenses alone. Plus around £100 for props and set materials and around £50-£100 to cover my own expenses (fuel, food etc.). I have always found it ill-advised and borderline irresponsible to NOT having a “when that thing goes wrong pot” too. This would be another £50-£100. Altogether, this comes to between £700 – £1000 minimum budget. Twice what I had planned for. Ever the optimist I was still ready to go ahead with the film idea until another realisation dawned on me.

What about all the other things I needed to pay for outside the film such as Car Tax and MOT, phone bills, internet bills and all the other costs involved with being an adult. Hope wavering at this point, the final blow came in the form of those dreaded “unexpected bills”. With a costly near £100 vet bill for the now deceased menace we lovingly called Stan Oleg Rasputin Hamster (Rest in Piece) I finally caved and accepted that the film in its current conceptualised form, would simply not be feasible. So I begrudgingly began to mercilessly chop parts out, play with the structure, remove none essential characters and have less ambitious props and costumes until it was closer to something I could afford. Then came the next nail of a reason.  Controllable factors.

Fictional Films rely on a lot to be good. I am relying on this project in order to pass my degree with a good grade. In my experience, fictional films just have too many variables that can go wrong. This is a project on a near iron clad deadline, deadlines that don’t really accommodate for worse case. Simply put, if any parts of it fail (an actor drops out at the last moment, locations fall through, the weather stops the show, crew members don’t show up)I run the risk of failing.

On reflection fictional film has been my weakest area over the last 3 years at university too. Mainly for the previously mentioned last-minute issues explained above. This in mind I have put together two separate ideas that focus on my stronger areas which were Factual Production, Client Based Brief and Experimental Film.

For my next post I intend to go over these ideas in more detail.

Until next time.

 

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed