So today I finally finished the masks off! I also built the first set too.
As shown in previous entries I had already completed the Face of Autumn and the Face of Winter. I had to put the Faces of Summer and Spring on hold while I finished rebuilding my workshop. Here’s what the finished products looked like.
The Face of Summer
The Face of Spring
As for the set.
Originally, the film was going to be all done in the field and very little of it scripted or manipulated. The weather however isn’t playing ball. So to add a little variety to the film I’ve come up with a little plan to make the revealing of the Face of Spring a little more interesting.
I’ve decided to do the parts of the film where the Face of Spring sprouts from the ground as if its growing using stop motion animation. This will help to create the playful tone I’m after for this season as stop motion can be made to have a fun, jerky aspect to it.
The set for this is simple. I’ve taken a run of the mill cardboard box, filled it will a few potted plants and compost (to hide the pots) and left room in the centre for the Spring mask to go. I’ll then bury the mask, taking pictures as I go and when I edit it together I’ll put the pictures in reverse order. This will make the mask look like it’s coming up from the ground.
This is what the set looks like behind the scenes.
How it will look through the camera (The pots will be covered up fully).
Building this set and deciding to add in a stop motion element has definitely given me food for thought on how to do some other parts of the film. Before I commit though I would like to run them by some other people to see what they think. With that I’ll wrap this post up here.
Until Next Time.
This a quick little update about some footage I managed to bag last week.
When I started this project, I had a concern that the Summer Scenes may be a challenge to capture due to the film needing to be made by May. Due to the recent weather, I managed to get some nice Summery clouds on blue sky. This footage will work brilliantly for the scenes that require sped up footage of rolling clouds. As spring is rolling by, if the weather holds I should be able to get some nice footage all in all.
It’s coming up to a month since my last post and as much as I dislike leaving large gaps between posts, the fact is I’ve got very little to write about.
At the moment I’m in that tedious place in filming where its a chain of paper work. Shots lists are being made, risk assessments are being typed up, people are being emailed re this and that. All time-consuming and all necessary, if not a little bit dull.
Next week I’m hoping to show some more progress. With any luck I’ll be out this week with the camera, getting the last dregs of winter and starting the spring shoot.
With that, until next time…
Lets start this post off by commenting on the weather. Although its been rather cold (and that’s putting it mildly), as far as how things have looked from a lens point of view it doesn’t really look like winter. The Sun has been shining, the sky has been blue and the grass is green and lush. This is all great in many ways, but as I’m meant to be gathering dramatic winter footage it’s not idea for my film project.
So, to remedy this I’ll be taking a trip to the North Yorkshire Moors! The North Yorkshire Moors has always looked dramatic anytime of the year. The plan is to go to Whitby and spend the night meaning I’m in a prime position to hopefully get some rough sea shots and some barren and bleak moorland shots the next. This way, even if it’s not typical winter I’ll have some footage that I can grade and play with to make it look like winter.
Heres to some dramatic winter time footage and a dusting (but not too much that I can’t drive) of snow.
Until Next Time.
Today has altogether been quite productive. I got feedback on my two main ideas for my Final Major Project production. The first of my ideas is to make a non bias Brexit Documentary that partly focuses on the if some people regret what they voted for during the EU Referendum. The second idea is to make an Experimental film with the themes of travel and interpretation.
Although neither were accepted with wide open arms, I did get enough feedback to develop the ideas a little further. For the Brexit Documentary I would;
- Need to Identify people who would be willing to talk about their vote on camera
- Need to identify a Unique Selling Point
For the Experimental Film I would;
- Need to make a demo to show how the concept works as many people didn’t quite get it
- Identify if it would be repetitive of not
As with all ideas, they are never perfect straight away and all need developing. This especially is true with experimental films because although I know how it will work, it is nearly impossible to show other people how it would work solely based on a brief outline.
With much to think about, until next time.